I hope that Will, looking back on today
Will remember a mommy who had time to play;
Because he'll grow up while I'm not looking
There are years ahead for cleaning and cooking.
So quiet now cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm loving my baby, and babies don't keep.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Headlining the All Star Preschooler Comedy Tour....

I swear I think this kid thinks he's on stage. At all times. I maintain that I don't know where he gets it.

First, there's the constant singing. He sings EVERYthing these days. On his way to daycare: "We're off to find schoo-ool, We're off to find schoo-ool, We're off to find schoo-ooool!"  And often, "I don't want tooooo" with dramatic flair. (enter, jazz-hands. I'm not even kidding).

Then, there's the big "explanations". This week, "No kisses today mom, I'm a doctor, and doctors don't kiss. Now hold still while I fix you".  After whacking me with the aforementioned foam sword "That's part of my story mom, 'William.then.hits.his.mommy.with.a.sword". Everything is part of his "story". He always says it like he's reading from a telegraph. Stop.

Lastly he's been trying to figure out jokes. He seems to know that knock-knocks must be the basics, so he's starting there, but he can't quite figure out a punchline. He is HAPPY to oblige in a HUGE fake laugh to my old stand-by of "orange who". Oh well, I can't tell jokes either, unless I read them in Maxim magazine, so they probably aren't the most appropriate ones to tell him.

I'm not sure, but I think he gets that he's a funny kid, because he seems to know when it's time to put on a show. Maybe he gets it, maybe not, but to quote him today (please read in dramatic voice): Yes, MOM! I.under.STA-AND".

No comments: