I hope that Will, looking back on today
Will remember a mommy who had time to play;
Because he'll grow up while I'm not looking
There are years ahead for cleaning and cooking.
So quiet now cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm loving my baby, and babies don't keep.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Babble Boy

Well, we've kind of exploded in the world of Baby Signs. Will is now signing for all kinds of things he knows and sees and WANTS! Our little repertoire of signage includes:
  • More
  • Eat
  • Please (finally-some manners!)
  • All Done
  • COOKIE!
  • Baby
  • Bath
  • Toothbrush
  • Book
  • Shhh!
  • Good Night
  • Love
  • Kiss
He's also decided he'd like to make up signs. When I tell him I need to buckle him into something (carseat, stroller, highchair, whatever) he pounds his two fists together in front of his chest (I think this is from when the Little Einsteins buckle their seatbelts, seriously, I do). It's pretty funny.

But now he's also expanding his spoken vocabulary, which is a huge relief because my mother is SURE that the signs are going to impede his speech and he'll just sign what he wants forever. However, the words he says are so random, even our doctor thinks it's funny the words he's chosen for his first forms of communication. I swear his very first word was "Kitty" when he was really quite little, because he says it exactly the same way now as he did the first time he looked at our cat and said "KEEEY!" His second word, I kid you not, was "Fish" (but it sound more like "SISS!"). He's now added "Duck" and "Dog" (ducks, he names appropriately, dogs are not only dogs but camels, dinosaurs and lions).

He can also say, but rarely does anymore, "eyes", "eat", "wash" and "all done". He only says "mamamamama" when he's crying for me and has FINALLY, just this week looked right at Jeff and said "Dada". He was elated. :)

His new favorite, lucky me, is "no", but it actually sounds more like "Nah", and is accompanied by vigorous head shaking....and then sometimes tantrums....oh the good times of toddlerhood....yay.....

At any rate, we're communicating and I do love that. However, I'm not a fan that with communication comes disagreements, and having to constantly explain that I'm the boss, applesauce!

No comments: