I hope that Will, looking back on today
Will remember a mommy who had time to play;
Because he'll grow up while I'm not looking
There are years ahead for cleaning and cooking.
So quiet now cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm loving my baby, and babies don't keep.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Heart of the Matter

So a dear friend of mine has welcomed a new little one into the world. And like the twisted road of my own journey into parenthood, hers has been filled with the dramatic ups and downs that so many are lucky to avoid.

I'm sure it's often taken for granted that when you have a baby, he or she comes home with you, buckled snugly in a carseat that teeters on your weary lap as you're wheeled out of the hospital, usually followed by a cart filled with flowers, balloons, and the hospital "gift bag".

When I left the hospital, my baby stayed behind, still "cooking" in the NICU. Getting head scans and heart scans and lung x-rays and blood transfusions and a scary looking IV shoved into his head. The hosptial was out of thier signature black diaper bag filled with goodies, so I left with a teeny plastic package in my hand that contained a baby nail clippers, a heart-shaped nail file, and teeny little baby "mittens" (which Will never even wore). It was truly one of the most depressing moments of my life, and one that I will never forget.

However, there was that glorious day, when I buckled Will snugly into his carseat, and left the hospital with a helluva lot more than one diaper bag full of freebies (yeah, I cleaned that NICU OUT!). And it is just recently that I realized how great I had it. When we finally walked through those doors, there wasn't a battle wound to be seen on that sweet little boy. While he'd had a rough road and a long journey home, he was, essentially, scarless....and so was I.

As my dear friend updates her CaringBridge website to literally throngs of loved ones on the edge of their seats...as she sits in the PICU, and listens to the beep....beep...beep of machinery and gazes over her baby, I can't even imagine what she sees. Battle wounds of an hours-long heart surgery. Fresh scars. Lots of tubes, and wires, and machines....I know how strong of a mama it takes to be able to even share her stories with me. I know how, even I, even after everything we went through...I can't even begin to imagine her journey.

And as Chase's heart mends, mine is breaking...and all I can do is pray....

No comments: