I hope that Will, looking back on today
Will remember a mommy who had time to play;
Because he'll grow up while I'm not looking
There are years ahead for cleaning and cooking.
So quiet now cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm loving my baby, and babies don't keep.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Signs

I've always enjoyed dabbling in Baby Signs. When I'd first heard of it, I thought it was genius. When I first saw kids doing Baby Signs, I thought it was a little awkward, but was still intrigued. When Will was very little, I felt ridiculous waving my arms "All Done" and tapping my hands "More", never seeing the slightest interest or response.

Let me tell you, when that light bulb came on, I switched right over to fanatic! Watching him tap his chubby hands together for "more" and rock his fat little arms together for "baby" and brush his teeth with his finger for "toothbrush" is utterly hilarious. He's not been too "conversational" with the signs, he's more my little trained poodle right now, but I just love seeing that he is learning and retaining things. And if it does transition into conversational or even demand signing, by god, it's better than the "eh! eh! eh" along with pointing that he's growing so fond of!

I recommend the Little Einsteins "Baby's First Signs" video with the ever-loathsome Baby Einstein puppets and the Baby Signs brand books (photos of babies doing the signs) if anyone is interested in learning a little more about Baby Signs.

We're up to eat, more, all-done, toothbrush, bath, goodnight, love, & baby. I'm going to try and get him to do them all and upload a video, because it is so truly hysterical!

1 comment:

Gina said...

I'm glad it's working for you. I've been doing signs with Cooper for months and he only signs "more"... and he only does that very sporadically. Maybe he needs a few more months to catch on. Yeah Will!